Membership in the Junior League of Seattle, a non-profit organization, is open to women ages 21 and older who express an interest in voluntarism. We have 3 levels of membership status: Provisional, Active and Sustaining.
Any woman who would like to become a member is invited to attend an orientation session, called a Meet & Greet. Multiple Meet & Greets are held in the spring of each year. For more information about membership, the Meet & Greet schedule and to be added to our email list for upcoming events, please contact email@example.com.
During your first year in JLS, you are considered a Provisional member. You will belong to a Provisional Small Group that meets monthly with an experienced Provisional Leader so you can learn together about how JLS operates and provide you the opportunity to socialize with women from your neighborhood.
Provisional members must:
- Attend at least 4 General or Unit Meetings
- Attend the Provisional Retreat
- Complete 4 Accredited Trainings
- Complete 4 Service Shifts
- Attend 5 Provisional Small Group meetings
- Complete a Provisional Project
- Complete financial obligations
Provisional members’ financial obligations are dues of $210, plus the non-refundable Provisional course fee of $100. Dues are payable by May 31, and the non-refundable Provisional course fee is due by June 15.
After a Provisional year, members further develop their leadership skills by participating in various committees that each target an aspect of JLS operations, be it a community, membership, fundraising or communications project. This is known as Active member status.
The next opportunity to apply for membership will be in Spring 2018 for placement in the 2018-19 Provisional Class. If you missed the Meet & Greets or the deadline to apply for this current league year, and are interested in becoming a JLS member, email the Provisional Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be put on the mailing list for the 2019 Meet & Greet sessions.
Active members are required to:
- Attend at least 6 Membership meetings (General, Unit or Community Partner) and/or Trainings throughout the league year. This includes each a minimum of 2 General/Unit Meetings and 2 Trainings.
- Complete 2 Service Shifts.
- Pay Active Members’ Annual Dues, $210.
- Contribute to our Annual Campaign and our other fundraisers. These fundraising contributions can be met in a variety of ways, including procurement, donations, and purchase of fundraising event tickets.
After 5 years of Active service, members may choose to become a Sustaining Member. That is to take a less active but supporting role in the League. Sustaining Members may choose to return to Active status at any time.
Sustaining members have no requirements other than to pay annual dues of $115. Sustainers are welcome to attend all General Meetings, Trainings, and Service Shifts they wish.
Our Sustainers serve as mentors to the Provisional and Active members of the JLS, and are a valuable source of support and inspiration to the league as a whole. Many of our Sustainers started as volunteers in the Junior League and go on to serve as leaders in other charitable and non-profit organizations in the greater Seattle community.