The Junior League of Seattle welcomes a variety of Charitable Giving Methods
Through charitable estate planning, you and your family can support the Junior League of Seattle while receiving financial and philanthropic benefits. This site provides information that will enable you to further the work of the JLS in a way that is consistent with your own financial goals. If you have further questions please email legacycircle@jrleagueseattle.
Make a meaningful donation
Each year, donors support the JLS with contributions of cash and other assets. In recognition of a donation, you may realize tax benefits while enjoying the personal satisfaction of helping the JLS.
Enjoy lifetime income
You and/or your beneficiaries can receive guaranteed income for life (or a term of years) from the Junior League of Seattle's life income plans.
Transfer wealth to your heirs with tax savings
Through an estate plan, it is possible for you to make a future transfer of assets to your heirs at a substantially reduced gift and estate tax cost, while continuing to support the JLS during your lifetime.
Use bequests to achieve philanthropic goals
Many donors have provided for the JLS through bequests and other planned gifts.
Charitable Estate Planning Options
An Outright Contribution could be:
- CASH OR SECURITIES Cash gifts are fully deductible up to 50% of the donor's adjusted gross income in any one year. Appreciated securities which are donated yield a savings of capital gains taxation on their appreciated value and an income tax deduction of up to 30% of the donor's adjusted gross income. Any unused portion of the income tax deduction may be carried over for up to five consecutive years.
- PERSONAL PROPERTY Such gifts might be jewelry, antiques, artwork, or other tangible personal property.
- REAL ESTATE It is possible to donate your primary residence, vacation home, or other real estate to the Junior League of Seattle while still maintaining residency on the property during your lifetime.
A Planned Contribution could be:
- WILL OR CODICIL BEQUEST A bequest in your will can be used to leave any of the above outright gifts to the JLS or to establish a planned contribution.
- CHARITABLE GIFT ANNUITY It is possible to make a donation of cash or securites to establish a Charitable Gift Annuity to provide you or another individual with guaranteed, partially tax-free income for life.
- CHARITABLE REMAINDER TRUST A Charitable Remainder Trust provides an individual with income for either life or a term up to 20 years from the date the gift is made. When the trust terminates, the JLS receives the trust's principal.
- CHARITABLE LEAD TRUST A Charitable Lead Trust provides the Junior League of Seattle with a steady income for a term of years or the life of an individual. When the trust terminates, the donor's designated heirs will receive the trust's appreciated principal.
- LIFE INSURANCE There are several ways to use life insurance to make a donation to the Junior League of Seattle. The JLS can be named as owner and beneficiary to an existing policy or a new policy can be established.
- RETIREMENT ASSETS The combination of federal income, estate and excise taxes can seriously erode the value of retirement savings. Naming the Junior League of Seattle as a beneficiary of these assets can save your estate and heirs both income tax and federal estate taxes.